This one is tough because there is an open internet debate as to whether he qualifies as “Asian,” but these cards are so gorgeous, I had to share both, regardless of what end of the border his hometown sits. Alexander Mogilny -
1. Mogilny was born in Khabarovsk, which is on the border of China and Russia.
2. There are well documented stories of Mogilny’s defection from the Red Army with the @buffalosabres, which paved the way for an influx of European superstars in the @nhl.
3. He has been lauded by other former NHLers as the fastest, strongest, and best stickhandler they’ve seen.
4. Over 990 NHL games, he accumulated an astounding 1,032 points with the @buffalosabres, @canucks, @mapleleafs, and @njdevils.
5. One story told over the @spittinchiclets podcast was that when Mogilny played for the @albanyriverrats in 2005-2006, he asked the coach what the monetary fund was for missing practices. When the coach responded, Mogilny wrote a check to cover all fines for the rest of the season. I don’t know if it’s a true story, but it’s funny!