Carl Stankowski @carlstankowski1 -
1. Carl is a Chinese Canadian goalie from Alberta. While born in Canada, he also spent parts of his youth in Southern California, where he played for the Junior Ducks organization and was coached by @alexkim79, who was previously featured on this account.
2. Carl was a standout prospect as a youth. In 2016-2017, his WHL rookie year, he only played 7 regular season games, but he was lights out in 20 playoff games leading the @seattlethunderbirds to a championship.
3. Throughout the season, Carl played through excruciating pain. He underwent back surgery but was still hurting. It was later discovered that he had a rare autoimmune disease. Carl missed the entire 2017-2018 season as a result.
4. He returned to the WHL but was used sparingly over three seasons with the @whlhitmen. He transitioned to the @bchockeyleague and played 18 games (winning 14 of them) for the @penticton.vees. With the Vees, Carl learned how to take better care of his body and regained confidence in his athletic talent.
5. Carl has since returned to the WHL and played for the @wpgicewhl in the shortened 2020-21 season. He won 5 out of 7 games that he played. Clearly, he’s had to battle tremendous adversity at a young age, but his perseverance serves as an inspiration for young goalies, as Carl has not let injuries or illness get in the way of his dreams.