The next is another great card from a guy who is well known in Germany but relatively unknown in North America. Martin Hyun @martinhyunauthor -
1. He’s the son of Korean immigrants who was born in Germany.
2. He grew up playing hockey in Germany but relocated to the U.S. in 1998 to further his education and hockey career (his fav player was, of course, Paul Kariya!).
3. After a successful @ncaaicehockey Division II career, he played one season of pro with the @krefeld_pinguine; he was the first Asian to play in the DEL German league and he wore #71 to honor Korean guest workers (1971 was the year that Germany and Korea entered into an agreement to allow Korean guest workers in the healthcare industry into Germany).
4. He is now a successful author and activist for minority rights in Germany; he is also the founder of “Hockey is Diversity,” which promotes diversity outside of sports.
5. The Korean government recognized his contributions to sports and Korean-Germany relations, and in 2018, he was appointed as a torch bearer for the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang. This guy is a true example of diversity and trying to make the world a better place after hockey!