This is an awesome custom card for the historic draft pick, Andong “Misha” Song @msong97 -
1. Misha is a steady, smooth skating defenseman who models his game after HOFer Nicklas Lidstrom. He was born in Beijing and, like many Chinese hockey players, began skating at an ice rink at the China World Mall at the age of 6.
2. He excelled at hockey and, by 10, his family relocated to Oakville, Ontario, where Misha continued his development with the @oakvilleraiders.
3. At 15, he moved to the @lvilleschool in New Jersey, where he was an “A” student, scored 25 points in 67 games, and served as the assistant captain in 2014-2015.
4. Misha became the first Chinese born player to be drafted in the @nhl when the @ny_islanders selected him 172nd overall in 2015. He went on to play a season at @phillipsacademy and then two seasons in the @ushl with the @madcapshockey.
5. Misha committed to @cornellmhockey, where he has been rostered but not played a game since 2018. Still, he continues to work hard with a dream of representing China in the 2022 Olympics; he is assigned as an Olympic ambassador for China. Misha faced adversity in hockey as a youth, where parents complained that “the Chinese kid”was taking a roster spot or playing time, and he was subjected to racial slurs on the ice. Misha always kept his cool and just played the game: “There’s a lot of chirping in hockey and it can be pretty nasty at times. You sort of expect it. You’d hear racial chirps, stuff about Asians, but I wouldn’t have a reaction. I wouldn’t listen to it. You just block it out. I don’t think it ever affected me in any way. I’d just keep playing, or play even harder.” Given he has always been labeled a dark horse, here’s hoping he gets the opportunity to represent his home country on the world stage.