Prab Rai -
1. Prab was a supremely talented, Indo Canadian winger from Surrey. His father was a Canadian Olympic field hockey player. When Prab started skating at the age of 5, he used his cousin’s hand me down skates that were 4 sizes too big.
2. Prab was a star player as a youth, and he began his junior career in the @whlhockey with the @princegeorgecougars. At 17, he was traded to the @seattlethunderbirds, where his junior career took off. He was a fixture on the top line, scoring 218 points in 3.5 seasons with the TBirds.
3. His junior success led to Prab being drafted by his hometown @canucks 131st overall in the 2008 @nhl Entry Draft, making him the third player of South Asian descent to ever be drafted by an NHL team. Being drafted by the Canucks was a dream come true for Prab, as his idol was the great Pavel Bure.
4. Tragedy struck shortly after Prab signed his pro contract in 2010, as he was rear ended at a traffic stop. While Prab rehabbed, he still had to play through pain and was never the same. He missed the entire 2010-11 and 2013-14 seasons due to his lingering pain and colitis diagnosis. He was able to play a few games in the @echlhockey with the Kalamazoo Wings, Stockton Thunder, and Evansville Icemen, but it was too difficult to return to form. Prab hung up the skates in 2015 at the early age of 25.
5. Prab has since found success off the ice with his custom clothing company, @josephchanan.
Prab’s story is one of inspiration, despair, and revival. His story is admirable, as he overcame numerous obstacles and, even when his lifelong dream of playing professional hockey came to a grinding halt at a traffic stop, he regrouped and achieved success in fashion.