This is the first Nor Cal player to be featured on the account! Rachel Llanes @rachllanes91 -
1. Rachel is a Filipino American forward from San Jose, California.
2. She started playing hockey at a late stage (12 years old) after trying out ice skating at a birthday party. Her dad challenged her to accomplish certain skating tasks to earn individual pieces of hockey equipment. By 14, she was playing in both boys’ and girls’ hockey divisions.
3. After playing for the San Jose Junior Sharks club, she had a successful college career at @gonuwhockey before turning pro in the @cwhlofficial with the Boston Blades and the @nwhleague with the @thebostonpride. She won championships in both leagues.
4. In 2017, Rachel was recruited to be a player/strength and conditioning coach by the @kunlunredstar organization. She was initially slotted to be a role player while also serving as a strength and fitness coach for the women’s team in preparation for the 2022 Olympics. However, she demonstrated tremendous speed and scoring prowess, eventually leading to her being slotted on the Vanke Rays’ top line, helping the team capture its first ever ZhHL championship title, and serving as an assistant captain during the 2020-21 season. Rachel is the first player to ever win championships in the CWHL, the NWHL, and the ZhHL.
5. Aside from her pro hockey career, Rachel also runs her own athletic training and fitness business, @trainperformrepeat.
Rachel’s career has come a long way, and she is hoping to make Beijing’s 2022 Olympic team as a player or as a coach.